Building a jetty and other maritime structures – how do you get approval?

Gaining approval to upgrade, alter or install waterway structures involves a similar process to any other Development Application.  As a general rule, anything below the mean high water mark will be considered a waterway structure and this can include developments such as seawalls, jetties, pontoons, ramps, boatsheds, skidways, access steps to the beach, berthing poles just to name a few.

To Begin

You must determine what is permissible for your site and who the consent authority is for the development as this will vary depending on the location of the site.  It is usually Roads and Maritime Services, but can sometimes be the local Council.

The key provisions which will determine what is permissible and the relevant controls are specified in a state planning instrument and associated development control plan.  Development will need to be designed within these constraints, being mindful of environmental, navigational and visual considerations.

The process of approval through the RMS is two stage with the waterway being owned by the Crown and permission to lodge the application first needing to be obtained.  This is a thorough process, with much of the information required at this stage.  Once the Permission to Lodge (PTL) is approved, the Development Application can then be lodged with complete plans, hydrographic survey, marine habitat report, engineering drawings and a Statement of Environmental Effects.

At completion of the DA process

The RMS will provide a development consent incorporating a list of conditions.  The Construction Certificate (stage 3 of the approvals process) will need to be prepared, being mindful of these conditions.  This can be lodged with and issue by a private certifier who will be responsible for staged inspections of the construction and issuing of the final Occupation certificate.

If you require assistance with a maritime project, please contact us.  With our team of experts, we can assist with the process from initial permissibility queries through the issue of the final Occupation Certificate.