A Building Certificate is required when building works have been undertaken without development consent.  The Local Government Act provides a means to effectively gain retrospective approval for the works, for a time period. 

Often, the prompt to lodging a Building Certificate is when Council issues the owner with a letter of intent. Unauthorised works exist for many reasons and often people have purchased a property without realising that this was the case.  Sometimes people do not realise that consent is required and other times they have just “forgotten” to ensure it was completed.

A Building Certificate can be issued by Council for permissible works if the applicant can demonstrate appropriate construction has been undertaken.  The application will require a planning assessment, certificates from licenced and qualified experts with regard to matters which may include Building Certificate of Australia compliance, waterproofing, glazing and electrical works.

If you are concerned that you have unauthorised works on your property, give Watermark Planning a call and we can help you with the Council process.

Contact Watermark Planning today